History of the Beaver Island Golf Course. Under the direction of former golf pro Matt Melville, ground breaking for the Beaver Island Golf Course began in 1957 on land once farmed by ‘Big’ Tom McDonough.
A man with a rich and varied background, Melville first came to the ‘north country’ on a golfing expedition to Charlevoix with longtime politico Adlai Stevenson. The pair had traveled to play the Belvedere course which was quite well-known in the 1950s as an elite course. He later first visited the Island while working as Boatswain on the ore carrier Wilford Sykes.
Once here and convinced by a group of locals that the Island needed a golf course to lure more summer tourists, Melville agreed to provided the layout and golfing expertise while locals Gary McDonough and Pete ‘the Swede’ provided the initial labor.
The course, which Melville wanted to name Shamrock Hills, was completed and open to the public in 1959. However, that name never stuck and since its opening has simply been known as the Beaver Island Golf Course.
Number of Holes: 18